Re: Adjusting Brakes

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Adjusting Brakes
From: bill/liz wessel <bwessel@itis.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 10:44:25 -0500
>Just a quick question...
>I have been having a little trouble with my
>brakes and today I took of the drums off the
>rear...
>The question is this:
>How to adjust them?
>I didn't see an adjuster between the
>shoes...the only thing that I could figure
>is that the emergency brake adjuster is how
>you keep them adjusted...would this be a correct assumption?
>
>Doug

Doug,

The adjuster is the little square head screw at the top on the back of the
backing plate. By turning it, it expands (or contracts) the shoes one
"click" at a time.

Don't just grab a vise-grip and twist away....all you'll do is bugger it up
so it's unusable.

Here's what I do: I have a 3/8 hex (allen) socket, 3/8 drive. I put that on
a stubby socket wrench. I then put a 1/4 drive 3/8 socket over the allen
hex. Now I have the 1/4 square socket end that fits snug onto the adjuster.
Tighten or loosen away....

I use a "stubby" rachet because I once broke the 3/8, 1/4 drive socket
using too much torque from a standard drive wrench.

The shoes are best adjusted with the car up in the air and turning the
wheel as you rachet the adjuster one click at a time. [You have the drum
on, and the wheel on to do this. You don't have to get into the brakes to
adjust them] At some point you'll no longer be able to turn the wheel by
hand. Back off one click and your done.

You'll find your pedal will firm up dramatically with well adjusted brakes.

Do this simple check. Pull your emergency brake on (if it works) then hit
the brakes. Pedal feel firmer? Then you need to adjust 'em.

The screws are still available from the dealer if yours are buggered up.
John Schmitt just ordered some I believe. You got that info handy, John?

Bill Wessel
Madison, WI
'68 1600, '69 2000,
and GP race roadsters