Re: but what are they in Oz?

To: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: but what are they in Oz?
From: Alan Bent <ajb@squirrel.com.au>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 16:23:44 +1000
In Australia we usually just refer to them as four wheel drives (4WD),
regardless
of their size. Sometimes refered to as a fourbee (short for 4x4) or weekend
warriors. I live in a country area and most 4wds around here get used for their
intended purpose. In the city it's another story, most seem to have been bought
as
a second car by husbands with grand illusions of exploring the outback. This
never
happens and most of them end up being used by housewives to go shopping in and
picking up the kids from school.
One interesting thing I read lately was that Honda were considering dropping the
Prelude from their line-up because their research found that the target
demographic for the Prelude is now buying small 4wds instead of coupes. This
probably explains why Honda now have 2 small 4wds in their line-up.
By the way, down here Honda Preludes, Toyota Celicas and other pretend sports
cars
are refered to as hairdresser's cars.
Alan Bent. Queensland, Australia.