Re: We didn't sputter to life as expected.... but that's expected, no?

To: Paul Strassmaier <PaulS@dowa.com>,
Subject: Re: We didn't sputter to life as expected.... but that's expected, no?
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:43:45 -0700
Paul Strassmaier wrote:

> The brakes didn't bleed all the way.  No leaks, but the pedal is dropping
> farther than it should.  I have air somewhere, and I can't find it.  Moving
> to a pressure bleeder to fix that one.

I had this problem when I first filled my system after a rebuild.  2 or
3 bleeds over a few weeks gave me a progressively firmer pedal.  Later,
a list-poster said that little air bubbles tend to form inside calipers
and other dry parts- I think a few firm-but-gentle whacks with a hammer
were suggested!

> After talking to Jeff S. in Vancouver, and doing a few little tests
> (loosening the upper manifold bolts), it appears to be a simple problem of
> the thickness of the exhaust manifold being almost a 1/16" thicker that the
> intake.
>
> I was going to just make some washers that were thicker on one side than the
> other, but I can't see how this was done at the factory.  Why wouldn't it
> have leaked then, if it's a stock Exhaust and intake manifold?

The original washers were thick and cupped, and had an oversize hole, so
that they can rock back and forth to spread force between the
manifolds.  I don't know if they could handle 1/16", tho...  I had the
same problem with an aftermarket header that was too thick, so I had a
machine shop surface it down to the same thickness as the intake.  THey
have these big belt sanders, see...
Toby