Re: another toy (non-Datsun

To: "Ron Hamilton" <ej99176@goodnet.com>,
Subject: Re: another toy (non-Datsun
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 00:19:54 -0500
>NOPE! It's a (gulp) Corvair! No flames please, the engine is hot enough
>already.

Nothing wrong with that, Ron. It probably uses the Crown Engineering
engine/trans adapter. Crown made several different adapters for the VW
transaxle and chassis including one to mate a Datsun L-series motor with
it, I think. I definitely remember they offered an adapter to drop a V-8
into the Corvair, making it mid engine with the motor in the back seat
some way or another. Maybe they used an early FWD Toronado or El Dorado
transaxle. I have a copy of the HP Books Corvair hot rod guide somewhere.
I'll have to take a look.

The folks at EMPI made a lot of stuff for both the VW's and the Corvairs.
I wouldn't mind having both an early model (turbo) and a late model
(turbo or four carb) Spyder. After they went to the straight trailing arm
rear suspension the handling was better than the earlier swing arm cars.
I seem to remember the biggest problem many folks had was keeping the fan
belt on the car. Since it was a long one and actually made two right
angle turns between the crank pulley and the cooling fan, they were prone
to being tossed off with "spirited" driving.<G>

Ah, the memories. Must be brought on by the Austin Powers movies. I'll
have to dig out my Burt Bacharach and Sergio Mendes albums. What!...You
don't remember albums?!

Later,
Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)