coolant leak

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: coolant leak
From: Matthew W Peterson <pete-3@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 22:57:48 -0500
Hi everyone,

Same problem, new twist.  I am no mechanic but I have pretty much ruled
out a head gasket problem.  The reason for this is that when I drove to
work today it was fairly cool and I had no coolant leak at all on the way
there.  However, later in the day on lunch break I went to the auto parts
store and my car was leaking again.  By this time it was about 15 degrees
warmer than when I drove to work.  I checked under the hood when I got
back to work and the strange thing is that it wasn't leaking from the
overflow at all.  It looked like it was coming from underneath the
coolant resevour someplace.  I would asume that if it was a head gasket
problem that it would leak all the time no matter what temp it was
outside.  Dennis at Classic recomended that I try running it without a
thermostat, so the thermostat was out of the car when all this happened
today.  I was hoping that it was just the thermostat but it doesn't look
like that is the problem.
Any thoughts, ideas?
I'll be taking a real indepth look at it this weekend when I finally have
some free time.

Thanks!

Matt Peterson
'68 1600