RE: weird noise on braking.

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: weird noise on braking.
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 00:21:46 -0400
After you take your drum off, If you find you shoes are OK and not worn to the
point where the rivets
are contacting, notice that there are some thin arches of sheet metal which
(are spot welded to and)
form the outer most periphery of the rear backing plate. These little pieces
are very easily bent and may contact the outer most (inboard) surfaces of the
drum near where the fins end. Look on these for a shiny spot and that would be
your contact point.  Since that surface of the drum may not be absolutely true,
you get an intermitant scrape.  Just one of many possibilities.

Jim Tyler