Re: I'm leaking water!

To: "Matthew W Peterson" <pete-3@juno.com>
Subject: Re: I'm leaking water!
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 18:29:23 -0700
Matt,

Ah, You can tell when summer arrives, all the overheating threads hit the
list!

I hope your problem doesn't get lost with all the other overheating treads
on the list today.

In your first paragraph, you said a major clue "noticed my temp guage was
higher than normal when off the highway but would go back down once I got
back on" Bingo! This is very indicative of a malfunctioning fan clutch. Do
you still have a fan clutch? If so they are notorious for failure. Bring
your car up to temp then shut it off. See if you can spin the fan or if it
is locked. If it is operating correctly, it should be locked.

If this is your problem It's no big deal. I really suggest replacing the
whole assmb. with a fixed fan and a spacer to replace the clutch.

If this is not the problem, keep us posted and I'll think of something else.
Read Tom Walters Overheating FAQ! It really covers all the possibilities.
But don't take the Worst-case scenarios to heart. Usually, the simplest
explanation is the correct solution!

Victor Laury
70 2000 (maybe runs too cool)
65 L-320 pickup (running hot!)