Summer/Winter heater valve

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Summer/Winter heater valve
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 21:13:43 EDT
Not too long ago I wrote about rebuilding the heater valve, the one
with the cable going to it.  On early roadsters there is another valve, right
off the rear of the intake heat pipe.  Sort of an an off summer/on winter
valve, opinion of actual purpose varies, but mine was frozen hard.
So, I took it off and disassembled it.  In case anyone else has
a frozen one, this valve relies on precise machining for leak
free operation,  no gaskets or O-rings anywhere.  Very clever design,
with a tapered ported plug in the body, held tight to the body by a spring
on the underside of the valve.  This means that if yours is stuck, shooting
both sides of the stem with penetrating fluid, and then grabbing the handle
and pulling it up and down, vice trying to open and shut it, will most
probably free it up. (cause pulling it up is effectively pulling the
plug away from the body)  If it leaks, this might also flush out whatever
grit is causing it to leak.   If it still leaks, I imagine you could lap the
two pieces back tight with a little valve grinding compound.  Not
knowing of this clever construction, I took mine apart.  Being
affected with -in the Navy brass means shine it disease-  I polished
mine and sprayed the exterior with a little varnish to keep it so....
just part of a very pleasant day working on the restoration, and
I hope the description helps someone.
Jim
67 pushrod 2liter
Chesapeake Va