Re: Cruising Speed & Alignment

To: <rvedgar@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Cruising Speed & Alignment
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:44:01 -0500
>Hi Ron,
>
>Well, here's a topic I guess I should know something about having gone
>cross country twice in it.
>
>><snip>
>>Tires are new, steering
>>has the minimum 1" of play,
>
>I guess I would stop right there. I have a 14.5" diameter steering wheel on
>mine and I have approx 1/2" max play. Of course, this is after I had the
>steering box worked on and the idler box bearing and shaft replaced. (Thanks
>Les and Barrie) A little play here can make things seem very sloppy very
>quickly. I remember I let Tom Walter drive it when I stopped by his place in
>Texas and he was surprised I could drive it at all.
>
>The drive out was a "white knuckle" experience all the way and each time a
>semi blew by it was a real gut test. It felt more like I was nursing the car
>back to the center of the lane rather than driving it there.
>
>In addition, a road with a good crown on it was also an interesting
>experience. Caster, as I recall, will make the car tend to want to steer
>uphill, but I guess all the slop in the linkage just made it wander all
>over.
>
>>computer alignment is the best the shop could
>>do.  Camber is .2deg left, .9deg right.   Caster is 1.5deg left, 1.2deg
>>right.   Toe is -.01deg left, .07deg right.  This is very close to spec.
>
>Won't comment on that. I know I had a little more aggressive alignment than
>normal (or so I was told) but I don't have the figures in front of me so
>I'll pass on further comment.
>
>>So why at 65 to 70 do I fell like its not stable??  Is it just that I have
>>forgotten how much a small 2000lb car can be blown around or do I need more
>>adjustment???
>
>Winds can still be felt but nothing like before.
>
>>The tech said he could adjust it more but that  I would get
>>more tire wear.  Should these  roadsters cruise at 70 with very little
>>steering adjustment
>
>Yes!!!
>
>or do you need to be
>>correcting for wind and road continually at speeds over 55 ???
>
>No!!!
>
>I love the
>>car it is a hoot to drive and at 45 to 55 its one hand and relaxed.  At 70
>>its two hands and not relaxed which on a long trip could prove very tiring
>>and frustrating.  Feed back please.
>
>I find it's as much fun at 70+ now as it is at 55. However, I do use two
>hands at those speeds just because it's a good idea and not because I feel
>like I have to.
>
>I'd check all the linkage joints for play especially the idler box on the
>passenger side.

I agree completely with Tom. Sounds like some thing(s) loose. I bought
our '70 2000 originally to drive from Ft. Worth to school in Denton and
back. Even in the days of 25 cent/gal gas, my '67 Impala was eating us
out of house and home. At least two/three days a week on my way home on
the then new I-35W, I'd be passed by a couple of guys in a Camaro and a
Mustang, racing each other.

One day when I saw them coming in my mirror, I said what the heck,
dropped it into 4th and floored it. Needlessw to say , they were both a
little surprised that this little yellow Japanese roadster was not only
hanging with them but they began to hit the wall about 105. It took a few
miles , but I did the car almost to an indicated 115.

Long story, short point, but the car was rock solid. Of course it was
less than a year old and probably had around 10K miles on it too. Not
that I'm suggesting that you try this, but if you can cruise comfortably
well above 70, something's not right.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)