speedo cable transmission mount

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: speedo cable transmission mount
From: Jim Bunte <jimbunte@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 14:17:13 -0700
hey everyone:

dig the list. VERY informative.

i decided to go legal and make the speedo on my '67 1600 actually
function. i ordered a new cable from nissan (only $37, such a deal!), and
installed it yesterday.

BUT, when i was detaching the connection just off the transmission, i
noted that it SWIVELED. normally, stuff doesn't swivel on cars, right? at
least, not when they're driven off the transmission. perhaps not
coincidentally, when i removed the old cable, a small metal cylinder,
dangerously resembling a part of a bearing race assembly, fell to the
ground.

clink.

as you might expect, the speedo still doesn't work, despite properly
mating both ends of the cable to their keyed connections. anyone have any
experience with this connection point? are they easy repairs? or is this
a remove-and-replace job? and if so, is it something that can be unbolted
with the tranny, etc. still in place? i was laying on the warm santa
monica pavement while doing this, so it was all by feel.

thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

ps: anyone on the westside of LA interested in rolling up to malibu in
the early evening for some roadster cruising? little traffic and KICKASS
sunsets!

jim

Jim Bunte
American Eagle Entertainment Inc.