Re: 2000 clutch recommendations

To: <Xcokid@aol.com>, <Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us>,
Subject: Re: 2000 clutch recommendations
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 23:54:48 -0700
No, you've got it backwards. When you pull the driveshaft (with the spline)
from the rear of the 5-speed, there is no oil there! That's because there
is a short 8-inch section with a U-joint bolted to the rear flange. The
engine and 5-speed tranny will pull out the car fine without having to
unbolt this short section. No oil spill danger.

It's the 1600 with 4-speed that will spill oil, unless you wrap the trans
tailshaft, or drain the oil from the trans. The last time I pulled my 1600
and 4-speed, I wrapped the tailshaft. Everything went fine until I
accidentally caught the tailshaft going over the front of the engine bay
and snagged the wrapping. Goo spill! I learned my lesson. Drain the oil
from the 4-speed before removal!

Fred - So.SF
'70 1600
'68 2000