Re: brake caliper rebuild-sleeve or replace???

To: NRUFFCORN@prodigy.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake caliper rebuild-sleeve or replace???
From: JLBrooksNC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 09:52:42 EDT
NRUFFCORN@prodigy.net writes:

> What are the advantages and disadvantges for both rebuilding the front
>  calipers (having them sleeved with stainless) or just purchasing new
>  housings.  ...

>  If anyone one of you have had positive or negative experience with either
>  solution please let me know.  Seems as if the brake parts on the roadsters
>  are eating up a big portion of the budget (already replaced 1/2 of the
>  lines, rear cylinders, brake master, and rubber flex hoses).

My two cents...
When pricing the sleeving job remember that the roadster has 4 cylinders that
will need to be sleeved.  At White Post that is 4*$80 or $320 just for the
front brakes.

A counter argument is that you won't have to worry about pitting.  Yes, but
that is just for those items you elect to have stainless steel sleeves in.
How does the rubber hold up with old brake fluid.

I think the discussion comes down to, "Do I want to change my brake fluild
every year or so???"  And and a response would be, "Wouldn't you feel better
knowing that your brake fluid has been flushed yearly?"

John Brooks
68 FairLady 2L
Brake fluid is just another thing on my list