gearboxes and diffs

To: "'Datsun'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: gearboxes and diffs
From: "Lahtinen, Marko" <MARKOL@isr.gov.au>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 15:05:31 +1000
Hi all

I have been doing some research on diff and gearbox options for my 1500 and
have come up with some things which might be of interest to others on the
list.  Of course, if I have got some of this wrong, I am also counting on
some you letting me know.

First, the 1500 has a H165 diff in it which for some reason is not simply
exchangeable with other later model H165 diffs.  Various bits are different
enough to prevent a straight swap.  But, it seems to me that later model
H165 diff hemispheres can be swapped into the 1500 roadster diff.  If your
diff just needs a rebuild, you probably do not need the parts, but if you
need new parts or wish to change ratios, this seems like a fairly good way
to go.  At least in Australia, I believe cars which have the H165 diff
include bluebird series 1 (early 1980s).  A 3.7 ratio is available in these
so that gives a 1500 owner a 3.7 option if that is desired.

Second, I have been trying to work out what sort of 5spd would fit into my
fairlady with a minimum of fuss.  The answer I believe is a diesel 720 4wd
ute short box (they apparently came long and short).  But these can be hard
to come by so I did some more digging.   A marginally easier alternative is
to take the front casing of a diesel 720 ute long box and match it to a box
from another nissan  - a short box for the 1500 to use the existing shifter
hole or a long box if cutting is ok or you have a 1600 and can find a box to
make use of the existing shifter hole.  Apparently, as long as the sandwich
plate pattern is the same, the box and the casing can be fitted together.  I
am not sure but it seems that only commercials are a source of short boxes
while passenger cars came primarily with long boxes.  Also, if a more modern
5speed is an option, rebuilding it with ratios to match the engine is also
then possible.

cheers

Marko "money is always an object"
1964 1500