Transmission rear seal replacement

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission rear seal replacement
From: "Christopher Coker" <ccoker@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 22:08:33 -0500
Howdy all,

I'm in the process of replacing the rear seal on my '69 1600 4 speed.
I've got the driveshaft off, and I can see the seal, which looks like it is
pressed into a collar that I suppose is pressed into the back of the
housing.

My questions:

Can I remove this seal with the trans still in the car?  It looks possible
to me.

Can the seal itself be removed from the collar without removing the collar
from the back of the trans, or should the collar be pulled out first?  I can
get a slide hammer around the collar, but I haven't made any serious
attempts to remove it.  I wanted to check with the experts out there first!

Any other hints or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Chris Coker
'69 1600 SPL311-24529
Royal Oak, MI