David Porter's Lotus Seven S1

To: lotus@se7ens.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: David Porter's Lotus Seven S1
From: John Donohoe <sevenamerica@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:37:34 -0800 (PST)
>From David Porter:

"Hi John,

I believe the Lotus 7 i.r.s. which Wendy Hamblin and I
raced in 1962 and 1963 is in an exhibition hall in
Japan but I have no idea where. Can anyone enlighten
me?

The original series 1 Lotus Seven was inverted by me
at Paddock Bend. It was rebuilt and converted to
i.r.s. by the late Hugh Haskell, at the time a Lotus
development engineer at Cheshunt. Colin Chapman
provided the Lotus 20  suspension parts and the car
was also know as the Lotus 7/20. The original car had
a B.M.C. engine but this was replaced with a Ford 105E
Cosworth Formula Junior unit.

In 1962 and 1963 the car scored victories at Aintree,
Mallory Park, Goodwood, Snetterton, Brands Hatch,
Ouston, Castle Combe,Oulton Park, and a 3rd at
Elvington where the abrasive surface wore out a new
set of racing tyres in 10 laps. It also finished 5th
in the Leinster Trophy race where thanks to the
hump-back bridges it finished the race with the
differential supported only by the drive shafts and
propellar shaft.

Colin Chapman drove the car in the 750 MC Silverstone
6 hour relay race in 1963"

Is anyone else familiar with this car? (I believe it
appears in Ortenburger's Legend of the Lotus Seven
also)

I will soon post this information and photos of the
car as supplied by David on SimpleSevens.

Cheers,
John Donohoe
SImpleSevens.org