Re: Advice sought on sports sedans (NLC, NSTC)

To: lotuselan@onelist.com
Subject: Re: Advice sought on sports sedans (NLC, NSTC)
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:30:55 -0800
I asked about cars with this list of requirements:

>1)  Cheap ( <$5K US )
>2)  Rear wheel drive
>3)  New-ish ( >1989 )
>4)  Light  ( <2500 lbs )
>5)  Well balanced
>6)  Need a trunk
>7)  5 speed
>8)  Rack and pinion
>9)  4 wheel disks

I got quite a few useful responses.  Thanks, everyone!

For me, the most *interesting* responses were:

 MX5 Miata
 Toyota Supra
 Nissan 240SX (2 votes)
 3 series BMW (3 votes)
 Porsche 944
 Alfa Romeo Milano (2 votes)
 any good 1L bike
 gen1 MR2 (2 votes)
 Merkur XR4ti

Of these, my favorite comment of all was:
> any good 1L bike     (thanks, Jim, and yes I'm in So Cal)
because direct steering is *even better* than rack and pinion
steering ;-)  Too bad it doesn't have a trunk OR a hatch ;-)

Seriously, I've been tempted to buy a Ducati twin for years.  The
only problem is, using something like that as a commuter vehicle,
I'd be afraid of either getting killed by someone making a left
in front of me in heavy traffic, or of killing myself by
becoming over-exuberant in some twisty bits.  I'll probably buy
another motorcycle some day, but if so, it certainly wouldn't be
for use as an everyday vehicle!

I love my Miata, but I feel bad about parking it outside all
the time because the soft top gets weathered so fast.  I can't
fit in a  Miata with the hard top (I know; I tried!)  Actually,
I barely fit in the car with the soft top.  Amazingly, I can
find a much more comfortable driving position for my 6'3" body
in an Elan than in a Miata!  Also, the Miata trunk is poorly
designed, with less usable room than an Elan boot despite being
bigger volumetrically.  (thanks, Peter)

I didn't know that the 240SX came as a notchback.  Hmmm.  That
may bump it to the top of my list, tied with the AE86 Corolla.
What years did they make the notchback?  (thanks, Rod!)

I really like the gen1 MR2, and in fact I almost bought one
before I got my Miata.  But the trunk is pretty much for show
only (thanks Brian, and Jason!)

If I was going to consider a Porsche 944 (which of course I
would, if I didn't need a trunk!) I would in any case probably
buy a gen2 RX7 first.  I've always wanted to try a rotary
powered car... never had one yet.

The MR2, MX5, and 240SX seem like be sure bets in terms of
reliability, but what about the A/R Milano, Merkur XR4ti, and
the 3 series BMWs?

Any more opinions on reliability?

Regards,
Erik Berg