Elan resyoration update

To: "Chapman Era" <chapman-era@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Elan resyoration update
From: "A. Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:11:25 +0800
Just another note to update everyone on the progress of work on 45/8439, a
1969 Elan S4 damaged in March 1998 at a vintage event.

My new TTR uprated frame (Tony Thompson  says 26R spec)  is now a rolling
chassis.  The steering rack has been redone and installed, and all
suspension pieces installed, with 250 lb springs in front and 150 lbs at the
rear.  The suspension still needs to be aligned, and, with adjustable rod
ends all around, this will be a more complicated task than before.   I used
to have nylon-bushed Spyder front arms  and toed-in rear A-arms from TTR, so
all I needed to do during the last restoration (in 1997) was check front
toe-in.  Now I can adjust camber and toe in at all corners.  And when the
cars is complete, I get to weigh the corners (am trying to get a group in
the club to contribute toward the purchase of digital scales).  The fat
front a-arms and beefed-up frame give the appearance of an Elan chassis on
steroids.

The LF corner (a light version to compensate for driver weight!) has been
grafted on to the body and minor cracks from the crash mended.  The body has
been trial-fitted to the frame, and holes drilled and tapped into the frame.
The body is scheduled for the paint shop this Saturday.  Oh yes, we fitted a
26R differential air scoop on the RH rocker panel and bonded in a fabricated
aluminum tube for the ducting.  I still have to decide how to introduce the
ducting to the differential.  Through the sloping panel behind the seat or
on top of the differential hump, ala TTR's 26R?

QED has advised that my new steel engine is on the workbench.  This should
have an aged L block and the new QED head casting.  This was delayed
somewhat, but I am hopeful that QED's reputation will indeed result in a
fine, strong, reliable engine.  Just 40 DCOEs and standard ignition on this
one, to address our vintage race regs.  I hope I can get this delivered
easily.  It's a long way from England to Manila.

Since I do the work on the Elan (except fiberglass, painting, and the
engine) and plan again on a complete, concours car. not a stripped-out
racer, completion is still months away.  However, my best friend's TR4A is
now being completed by a professional shop, and he prefers to drive a Mini
Cooper S, so when the season opens next month, I get to share the TR4A with
our pretty club secretary, Sophie.  I hope her lap times will not be much
better than mine.  After the crash in the Lotus, I can only take so much
embarrassment!

Regards to all,

Andres
Manila