Re: gearbox problem?

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net, Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re: gearbox problem?
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 98 07:17:05 PST
Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no> wrote on
Date:    7/5/98 1:17 PM:

>Hi!
>I have driven our elan a bit recently and is experiencing a strange
>problem(?).
>When accelerating in firsth gear and changing up, I am experiencing a jerk
>and a thump. The harder I accelerate the more noticable the "problem" is.
>(It only occur when changing up from first to second)
>Any ideas?

>Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>

Hi Tor,

This sounds like it might be a loose differential housing.  The two vertical
bolts which go into the trunk (boot) should be checked for tightness (they
should be torqued up pretty tight).  Also, the Lotocones (the bolts go through
these bushings, which are in turn, bolted to the chassis) have rubber which can
get old and begin to have play.

Check the torque reaction rods (longitudinal, one on each side of the
differential) for tightness (also need to be rather tight... within limits of
the sheet metal to which they bolt).  Check to see if the chassis sheet metal
has cracked or broken off there.  This area is often reinforced to prevent this.
 The big rubber bushings can get oil-soaked and deteriorate.  For racing
spherical, Delrin parts replace the rubber but if you do that, absolutely
reinforce the chassis as it will transfer diff. torque loadings more directly.

Also, check the transmission mount.  Could even be a motor mount.

Let us know.

Rod