Re: Formula One Announcing (NLC)

To: lotus-cars@lists1.best.com, Dave Billings <dbilling@spry.com>
Subject: Re: Formula One Announcing (NLC)
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 98 12:05:14 PST

     Dave Billings wrote:

     >What happened to Mike Joy on the Fox Sports Net broadcasts?  I
     >thought he and Derek Bell made a decent combination.

     >Charlie Jones, on the other hand, seems like the Harry Caray of
     >motorsports announcing, and not in a good way.

     My wife and I are treating it as comedy now.  When we first heard him,
     we were upset but have been telling ourselves it's better than
     nothing.

     It's as if they put an ad in the paper for an announcer of any kind
     and hired the first guy with a deep voice.  He's not really from the
     monster trucks and wrestling matches, is he?  Maybe he was just
     someone's friend who needed a job.

     That's the best possibility IMO.  The worst would be if Fox Sports
     figured that the US audience, not understanding F1, or any racing,
     would feel more comfortable if the announcer was also clueless
     (someone to ask those dorky questions, mispronounce people's names,
     etc.).

     Maybe they'll get the message soon.  Maybe Derek will tire of playing
     Bud Abbott and bring the matter up.

     Rod