RE: Elan Rubber isolated shift lever

To: lotus-cars@lists1.best.com
Subject: RE: Elan Rubber isolated shift lever
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 01:58:31 -0700
Andres, pardon the tardiness of my response... I'm playing catch-up
reading the Lotus-Cars digests, as usual.

Andres Sta. Maria wrote in response:
> Should I remove the rubber bush on my shift lever (press it out) on my
> 1969 S4 Elan (45) and perhaps replace with a brass bush?  I know the
> bush was the anti-sizzle solution, but your post encourages me to
> delete this.

Hmmm.  You're thinking that the rubber bush was originally intended as
noise prevention?

Could be, I don't know.  But as far as I can tell, there seems very
little disadvantage at all, to the solid lever.  I was expecting some
vibration.  I thought it might be uncomfortable, to drive around with
hand resting on the lever.  In reality, I've noticed no such problem!

Your brass bush idea sounds like a good one to me.  If you try it, I
would like to hear how it works out.

Regards,
Erik Berg
Los Angeles