actual content \gearbox stuff

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: actual content \gearbox stuff
From: Keith Gustafson <gusmach@shore.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 20:57:51 -0500
>My plan was to lop off the bell housing, machine it back
>flat and then bolt it to an alloy plate welded onto the back of a suitable
>bellhousing. How were you planning on doing this?

I had thought of it, and it would be easy, but I don't think i have the room

>>s for the input shaft length problem - I ass-u-me you are using a Ford
>block of some kind - is it possible to mate the front 2/3 of the ford input
>shaft incl. splines etc with the back 1/3 of the Nissan?

My friend Dave and I were enjoying a few frosty concentration enhancers and
thought of that very thing this afternoon, must be thought waves travelling
faster than the web. What do you think about heat treating etc.? Have you
ever tried anything like this before? Dave has welded up volkswagon cv
shafts to fit in his +2, and has no problem with them. Theoretically there
would be less torque at the transmission shaft than at the cv shaft so maybe
it would be ok.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Keith