Re[2]: DeTomaso, Miata, Kia Faux-lan

To: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Subject: Re[2]: DeTomaso, Miata, Kia Faux-lan
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 98 10:08:52 PST8

     Erik said,

>Nevertheless with an ominous inevitability similar to the creeping spread of
>Microsoft products, fwd cars seem to be taking over the world.
>Unfortunately I suppose we are resigned to fate here, too.  ;-)

Certainly true that average people and average cars find each other; and
also, that that lowest common denominator will drive the large car companies
toward fwd because it's a cheaper platform to produce.  But there is still a
large market segment that demands rwd feedback in its sports/sporty cars.
Can you imagine what the reaction would be if Ferrari, Porsche, or even BMW
were to switch to fwd?!

The only down side is that we have to pay more and don't have the range of
choice that we once did when we shared platforms with almost everything in
the supermarket parking lot.

If it *does* ever get that bad, there are still kit cars.

"Never, never, never give up."
        ....... Winston Churchill

>Anyway, glad to hear you successfully sold the Wimberly Europa, Rod.

Thanks.  Didn't even have to advertise it.  It was a good deal for everybody.
He's happy, I'm happy and my wife's happy (all those engines, etc. gone).  Now
to turn this Europa into Elan restoration money.  The Europa is really quite
nice.... very civilized compared to the Elans.

Rod