T-50 CR gearboxes - more.....

To: "Scott Davis" <ssdavis1@ews.uiuc.edu>
Subject: T-50 CR gearboxes - more.....
From: "phil.bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 97 12:28:30 PDT
Hiya Scott, Peoples,

>From playing with my spreadsheet it appears the TRD CR ratios I have
(thanks to Matti, Erik etc) in the 1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno T-50 gearbox
(and my Leitch) are:

1st     2.63
2nd     1.6
3rd     1.38
4th     1.0
5th     0.861

(This is based on the Leitch speed in gears and ass-u-me-ing the Trueno
GT-V has the identical ratios to the Levin GT-V that supplied the Leitch
gearbox)

As opposed to the other TRD CR set of:

1st     2.54
2nd     1.6
3rd     1.2
4th     1.0
5th     .861

This compares to the standard set of:

1st     3.587
2nd     2.022
3rd     1.384
4th     1.0
5th     .861

The car is designated on the chassis plate:

Model:  E-AE86-FCMQF
Engine: 4A-GEU
Frame:  AE 86-5011795
Colour: 3D7
Trim:   FN 32
Trans:  T-50
Axle:   T-282
Plant:  M21

Can anyone decipher the model code?

I saw another yesterday with a T-283 axle code - any ideas on the
difference? I looked at Matti's website but could not find the bit that
tellls you the codes for LSD - anyone?

Apparently the GT-V sprinters have a quicker steering rack also.

Other than the car being externally identified as a GT-V, or off the
chassis plate, I am unaware of any means of externally recognising the
gearbox as CR or not. I will compare the gearbox casings when I strip the
Trueno in the next week or so, and check the ratios.

FWIW - I drove a 4AGE Trueno about 3 years ago and thought it relatively
sluggish, and just assumed it was normal and that having the same running
gear in the Leitch with half the weight was what made it come alive........
until I drove the GT-V - which (allegedly) has the same CR set that my
Leitch (alegedly) has - which is a LOT more 'on the boil'. I never drove
the Levin that I scraped in 1992 as it was immobile.

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

Phil Bradshaw
Auckland NZ

$100 wonder - 1981 TA 45 Celica - Lowered etc etc
1992 Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve Lotus 7 Replica - 64,000 miles...
Anglia 105GZE Supercharged 4AGZE Clubcar Project
1983 AE 86 Trueno GT-V 16 Valve beastie - $650 wonder - project in need of
direction.......

phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
64-9-4455509 W/Fax
64-9-4437055 H