Re: Introduction, Tim Engel

To: "Tim Engel" <tengel@isd.net>, chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Introduction, Tim Engel
From: "Erik Berg" <Erik.Berg@trw.com>
Date: 20 Feb 1997 02:37:03 -0800
 Reply to:     RE>Introduction,  Tim Engel,  Eclat,  Esprit S2

Tim Engel wrote:
> The following is my completed Introduction Format.  <snip>

Welcome, and thanks for your intro message!

>  the tabs don't hold and the anal retentive attention to alignment goes =
up
>  in smoke.

Hmmm... yeah, I was wondering what set off the halon ;-)  OK, Tim, point
well taken.  Future intro-ers, let the alignment come out as random as it =

wants to.  I think we'll cope.  :-)

Tim also wrote:
> Thanks, Erik.   I appreciate your efforts to keep me in the loop while =
> procrastinated.

Hey, we procrastinators oughta stick together.

> The Getrag engineer to whom I was referred should be back in the office
> by now;  however, I haven't tried to contact him... <snip> Tomorrow =
looks
> good.

I would definitely like to hear more about the 265 Getrag 'boxes.  =
Ratios,
applications, dimensions, all the stuff that I'm sure you would be =
planning to ask
anyway.  There *does* seem to be a definite lack of 265 info available on
the web.

Another item of curiosity for me, is the fact that there appear to be two =
quite
different species of 245s.  The 245/4 is the 80-82 320i overdrive 5 speed =
which
should be readily available in the States.  The 245/10 is the Euro market =
optional
close ratio 5 speed.  The issue of interest is that the 245/10 is *not* =
an overdrive
'box:  it has a 1:1 top gear, like the 235/5.  Although the the 245/4 and =
245/10
share root designations, their guts must be considerably different!

My question is, *how* different are the guts of these two different =
versions of
the 245.

It probably goes without saying that the most desired single item of data =
would
be a decent orthographic drawing showing the outline dimensions and such, =

for any or all of the Getrag 'boxes.  We've got a good one for the Ford =
T9
already, at:
http://www.dnai.com/~sands/cars/trans/type-9a.gif

Regards,