clutch chatter

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <tr8-request@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: clutch chatter
From: "jay snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 08:48:48 -0400
My TR8 has developed a problem which I think is clutch chatter.  Of all the
cars I have had, I never had any problem with clutch chatter and originally
blamed it on bad bushings, etc.  The problem is in 1st gear, going from a
standstill until the clutch is fully engaged and going a few miles per hour.
The problem only starts after the car warms up.  If the clutch is released
at idle, it is not bad, but with revving it to 1500-2000 while engaging,
there is a general shuddering of the entire car, which becomes quite severe
at times.  Allowing the engine speed to drop below 1000 brings the
shuddering under control.  At first I thought it was wheel hop from the
torque, and put on Spax shocks.  With these set fairly stiffly, the problem
was much less, but has increased over time to the point where it is worse
than before.  I also replaced the bushings on the rear trailing arms, but
this has not helped.  I also replaced the rubber transmission mount with the
bolt going up thru the center.

Do you agree with this diagnosis? Is there any other possibilities that I
should look at?

My other question is that I am not sure what the causes of chatter are.  I
was under the impression that it is caused by the surface of the clutch
facing grabbing the flywheel too aggressively.  Or can it be caused by the
springs in the clutch face becoming too soft, or by a bit of warpage in the
clutch disc?

Thanks for the advice.

Jay Snavely
1980 TR8