Re: Bellhousing information

To: V8TR4 <v8tr4@advprodtek.com>
Subject: Re: Bellhousing information
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:44:35 -0400
Oliver,
    Usualy if it only has one set of 4 holes, it is the 3-speed.  If it
has 8 holes, it is a 3/4-speed bellhousing.  When Buick updated to the
4-speed tranny, they started making the bellhousings with both bolt
patterns, I think so they could be used as warranty parts for folks w/
3-speeds.  Having said that, I have seen one bellhousing with only the
4-speed pattern on it, but they may be more common than I think.  Either
way, if you are going to use a Ford T-5, as I am doing, you will have to
use an adapter plate regardless. AFAIK, D&D are the only ones who make
them.  The Ford T-5 has a slightly longer input shaft (3/4"???) and the
adapter is the same thickness, so it all works out, although the
shift-lever and tranny mounting points will be 3/4" further back than on
a GM-T5.  However, dozens of people have done this conversion w/no problems.
    Anyhow, according to the SpeedPro book, a pure 4-speed bellhousing
will have the top two holes 8.25" apart, c.t.c
The bottom two holes will be 9.125" apart c.t.c
Have fun.
James J

V8TR4 wrote:

>I have a Buick 215 bellhousing. I was wondering how you can tell if it was for
>a 3spd or 4spd if such a difference exists. I looked around the web and see
>that this will not readily work with the T5. What are differences between
>these? I plan on using a Ford T5 with this in my TR4.
>
>I also am looking for a flywheel for a Buick 215 HO
>
>Thanks
>Oliver

///
///