Sounds Like Rod Knock: Post Mortem...

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Sounds Like Rod Knock: Post Mortem...
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 19:27:38 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far...

After careful listening, the mechanic (at Land Rover
Dealer) pulled the pan and removed the rod bearing cap
(terminology?) of the piston he thought was making the
noise...

Pushing the rod cear of the crank, there is apparent
wear and copper-colored "scorching" for lack of a
better term, in the bearing of the pushrod. Those of
you who know engine internals better than I will know
what that discoloration means, if anything!

Additional note: this Rover got a completely new
transfer case some thousands of miles ago, the
mechanic saying that when they took it out, the low
range gears had been totally demolished... that all
had been replaced and worked fine when my brother
bought the Rover, btu teh mechanic suggests that the
motor took a shock as these gears took their beating,
perhaps bending the crank, or tweaking a pushrod ever
so slightly.

Meanwhile my brother ponders his choices: rebuild,
replace with "good used" motor, or start with brand
new short block and build from there...

The mechanic did specifically indicate that this would
not have been caused by excessive idling of the engine
for warm up as my dear brother is so fond of doing in
Michigan Winters!

Any Thoughts? I'll continue the story as I hear more,
with perhaps a digi-pic or two as my brother shows me
the bits!

Cheers,
John D
http://taxes.yahoo.com/