RE: 4.2 questions

To: "jon" <jonaxt@pacifier.com>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 4.2 questions
From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:22:33 -0500
Jon-

I run a serpentine front cover on my roadster so I can help a little. Get
the pulleys from D & D.  Dan has really nice(but expensive) billet aluminum
ones from March with adapters that will work just fine. Do not slow down the
water pump unless you live in a very cold climate, like the Yukon. The water
pump is reverse rotation, but not reverse flow.

The heater bypass on your 215 engine water pump is not present on the 4.2
front cover. Rover uses some very complicated hoses to accomplish this. I am
not familiar with the EFI intake, so I am not sure what the threaded hole is
for unless it is for a pipe nipple to connect as a heater bypass line. You
need to maintain the heater bypass to prevent air pockets.

Do a search for  MOCAL  & you will find a distributer in Florida that should
be able to fix you up with a takeoff to run a remote filter, if yours does
not work out.

Your 4.2 has a crank that is about 3/8" longer in the rear than the 215, so
you may need a spacer to prevent the transmission input shaft from loading
the thrust washers in the engine & locking it up- assuming a GM
transmission. Not sure if you will have this problem with a Rover 5-speed.

I will send you some installed engine pictures in an MG showing hoses, etc,
off list, if you want them.

Jim