Re: 4.6L V8 for Triumph TR8

To: russmans@home.com
Subject: Re: 4.6L V8 for Triumph TR8
From: Ian Crocker <ian@btcase.bt.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:01:34 +0100 (BST)
> Rover R380 5 spd which they say is a "direct replacement for the LT77."
>Anyone
> use one of these?  Are they that good?

They do bolt in using the old bellhousing and rear extension although there
are a few differences in shape.  Don't know if this would require any changes
to the tunnel or mounts on a TR8, it does on a Westfield but then space
is much tighter.  They are supposed to be a bit stronger, and at least they
are new, but the shift is no better.  As for ultimate strength, the R380
stands for 380Nm of torque.  Not a lot.

> I have an Edelbrock intake with
> Holley 390 on the original motor in the car now, but assume an Edelbrock
>500cfm
> or Holley 600cfm would be the setup of choice at 4.6L's.

The 390 will be too small.  The Edelbrock is not that popular in the UK.
Seems to be sized nicely but under hard starts and stops the engine can
fluff a bit, probably something to do with float control.  I know a few
people running that carb and they haven't been able to fix that problem.
The 600 (double pumper) is fine for competition use on my 4.2 but not great
for road use as it won't take full throttle at low rpm.  As my 4.2
is actually 4278 and a 4.6 is actually 4550cc I doubt it would be great
for street use on the bigger engine although a vacuum secondary might be
fine.

Regards,

Ian

///