FW: Forwarded: RE: Rover V8 3.9 EFi Engine help

To: "buick-rover v8 list" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Forwarded: RE: Rover V8 3.9 EFi Engine help
From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:16:22 -0400
     From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
     Subject: RE: Rover V8 3.9 EFi Engine help
     Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:08:39 -0400

Paul/Pete-

Am I to assume you are using the serpentine drive front cover? If so, the
oil lines are in the cover, not the block. These can be plugged without a
problem. My 4.2 came with plastic plugs & no lines, & I have driven it
around 6000 miles with no oil flow problems, & no oil temperature problems.
As a precaution, I have now replaced the plastic plugs with something more
substantial, but I had a devil of a time matching the fittings. They are
some sort of non-tapered metric piece that uses a brass & rubber sealing
washer. One of the nice guys at the local NAPA store spent close to an hour
going through all his fittings & finally found some metric power steering
line fittings that worked, after I welded them shut.

A machinist friend suggested that I re-tap the holes for 1/2" NPT, which
would solve the plug problem easily, but the engine was already installed &
it was too much trouble to pull it to remove the front cover. If your engine
in not installed, that would be the way to go.

I have a friend that could use your hoses if you want to get rid of them.

Jim Stuart

///
///