Build spec. advice

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Build spec. advice
From: ar <dt99aar@brunel.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 13:43:09 +0000
Hi,

I want to fit a Rover V8 into my Covin 911, (Porsche 911 Turbo SE
replica).

As I haven't yet bought any engine parts can anyone advise me where to
look for suitable engine specifications, or suggest an ideal build spec
?  (Remembering I'm UK based).  As my car is about 2/3rds. the weight of
an original Porsche, I'm assuming about 180-200 hp would make a
reasonable starting target.

Engine bay will be pretty tight for space, but, with the 'duck-tail'
spoiler there is a bit more space above the front of the engine.  I'm
assuming that a carburettor set-up will take up less room and be a bit
more flexible on fittings than an injection system ?

I have a front mounted radiator, but does the Rover block require a flow
of air over it as well, or are the internal water passages evenly placed
through the block; (I'm thinking about certain engines that have
problems with one cylinder running hotter than the others). ?

How do the Rover engines behave with short exhaust systems; (rear
mounted engine) ?  Should my choice of camshaft and timing be restricted
to specific models to compensate for the short exhaust ? (Flames out of
the exhaust pipes are probably not a good idea on the M4 !).

I'm currently running on a strengthened VW gearbox, but have been
thinking of obtaining a Renault 25 gearbox to mate to the V8; any
comments ?

As a Design Engineer I'm looking for something that is reliable and can
be used everyday, but which I can 'play' with and try out my own design
mods. once I have it all running sweetly.

thanks,
Andy

///
///