Re: The Unfair Advantage by Mark Donohue

Subject: Re: The Unfair Advantage by Mark Donohue
From: Kent Christensen <lkchris@uswest.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 22:41:10 -0700
re:  Tell me please, what is the connection between the book and our
beloved v-8s?

Only connection to Buick/Rover V8 is the era.  Don't recall Donohue
ever racing anything with one of these engines.  Donohue raced in 60s
and early 70s (not 50s), winning '72 Indy 500 with turbo Offenhauser
at an average speed that remained the record until Luyendyk's first
win in 1990.  Penske was a successful driver himself in mid 60s, but
it was his having Donohue as driver that really got him started.
Notable vehicles raced by Donohue include AMC Javelin and Camaro in
Trans Am and Porsche (turbo flat 12) in Can-Am, plus a blue Ferrari
512 at Daytona.  Penske built F1 cars for a few years, and Donohue
died in practice for Austrian GP.  Big lawsuit against Goodyear over
this some years later.  Irishman John Watson scored Penske's only F1
victory a year or so later.  Our favorite engine won F1 championship
as Repco engine in 3.0 litre configuration with Brabham driving in
'66.