Buick/Oldsmobile Bellhousings

To: "tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: Buick/Oldsmobile Bellhousings
From: "James R Bown" <Bowan@uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:07:37 -0600
I have a question concerning  215 Buick/Oldsmobile bellhousings (Clutch
Housings).  I recently acquired a TransDapt  aftermarket bellhousing.  This
TransDapt bellhousing measures approx. 5/8" shorter than a factory
Buick/Olds bellhousing.  The engine side matches up to a 215 perfectly.  The
transmission side matches up perfectly with a GM Saginaw 4-speed.  The
problem is that the input shaft sticks out 5/8" too far.  How would it be
possible to use this shorter bellhousing?  Is there some variety of
transmissions with a 5/8" shorter input shaft that this bellhousing was
designed for?  Or are you supposed to use some type of additional spacer?
Any input or ideas is appreciated.
Regards,
Jim B.
Bowan@uswest.net