Re: Muddying the waters?????

To: "David Kernberger" <dkern@napanet.net>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Muddying the waters?????
From: "Neil Sherry" <neil@sherry02.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 12:05:04 +0100
One small correction. The back pressure is not constant as engine speed
rises. It is this back pressure that is registering on your gauge and is a
result of trying to stuff the oil through the various oil passages.

The volume of oil delivered by the pump rises directly with the speed of the
engine. But as that volume of oil flowing through the passages increases,
the back pressure rises at a higher rate (with the square of the speed, I
think, such that a doubling of the speed results in a four fold increase in
the pressure). As stated elsewhere this continues until the relief valve
lifts, whereupon little further rise will happen.

The rules of thumb for oil pressure vs engine speed are mainly there to
ensure that the centrifugal force on the oil in the crankshaft does not
cause the main bearings to be starved of oil as the oil is forced out to the
big end (rod) bearings. Again this will be a 'square of speed relationship',
but within the range that most engines run (say 5000-7500 rpm) a linear rule
of thumb is good enough.

Neil