Fly-wheel, flex-plate ring gear measurement

To: "Buick-Rover-V8 Mail List" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fly-wheel, flex-plate ring gear measurement
From: "Pete Bronlund" <peteb@clear.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:07:02 +1200
Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me a standard measurement from the face on the
block back the startermotor mounts to to the face edge of the ring-gear
preferably on a manual trans setup (automatics would be the same) please?

My Rover block has had a steel flywheel especially turned and balanced with
the ring-gear added from a flex-plate. The ancient Lucas starter that weighs
a ton and is pretty gutless meshes up perfectly but when i invested a modern
compact light-weight geared unit it installs permanently meshed!. It takes a
good 0.25" to pack it out.

Any info appreciated.
Pete Bronlund
ALMAC SABRE (under construction)