Re: TIMING COVER REPLACEMENT

To: John Bartholomew <jdb70@minerva.amdahl.com>
Subject: Re: TIMING COVER REPLACEMENT
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:30:57 -0700
>Hi Gang,
>        I am slowly tearing into my Rover V8 to rebuild it for my MGB
>transplant. This is my first V8, having rebuilt many MG 4 bangers!.
>I have run up against a major snag, I am not able to remove the timing
>cover because I cannot remove one of the real long bolts as it is seized
>solid with corrosion. The head of this bolt sheared off as I was into
>removed the water pump. Now after much penetrating oil, application of heat
>and finally the MIG welder I have all but this one bolt out and it remains
>steadfast!. The water pump is now off and I have about 1/4 to 3/8 inch of
>the bolt shaft exposed. I plan on taking the whole thing into a local
>machine shop to see if he can get the thing out and preserve the timing
>cover. Failing this I feel I must resort to the destruction of the aluminum
>cover to get it off and the bolt out, so I can continue with the rebuild.
>Question for you folks out there....what are my options for a replacement
>timing cover.  Can I use one from an alternative domestic motor, if so what
>make and or model years should I look for at the local car recyclers. I bet
>there are some alternatives for this part, if only I new what they were.
>Suggestions and offers of help greatly appreciated.
>The V8 rookie, John.
>---------------------------------
>     E-mail jdb70@minerva.amdahl.com
>  John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.
>  ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **
>    **  USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY  **
>Various MGB & GT's (6) '69 to 79; 86 XJ-S COUPE
4/28/99

John,

        I think I know part of the answer you are looking for, so I'll give
you what I know.  There should be others on the list who can fill in the
gaps.

        Firstly, the basic bolt pattern, size, shape, and function can be
found on 61-63 Olds F-85 215 v8, 61-63 Buick Special 215 v8, 64-on Buick
300 v8, all Buick 340 v8, all Buick 350 v8, 62-63 198 Buick V6, and 64-on
225 Buick v6 engines.  There ars some differences among this group in
placement of ignition timing marks, oil filter mounting angle, and perhaps
other details.  As I said, I only know part of the answer.

        Later Buick v6s of many different sizes are also either the same or
similar.  However, in later years, the cover casting was shortened (perhaps
there are several variations?) and eventually I think, even the water pump
was modified (changed bolt pattern?).  Apparently these changes were mainly
to gain needed space between fan and radiator in certain applications
(mainly front-wheel-drive?).  There may be a couple other Buick v8s that
should be included in the list, maybe even Chevrolet and other
"adaptations"?????

        For what it's worth I (others too, I imagine) have several Olds
F-85 and Buick Special covers laying around that could be let go for
next-to-nothing.  Let me know if you might be interested.  So maybe all is
not lost.  Apparently this type of corrosion is not unheard-of in aluminum
engines.  I had the exact same problem in tearing down a Buick
300--fortunately I did not need the cover or block so both have now been
scrapped.

        Hope this will help some.

Cheers,
Dave Kernberger
St. Helena, California-not very far from San Jose