PERRY

To: PROBINSO@flower-mound.com
Subject: PERRY
From: "Glen R. Wilson" <GlenWilson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:31:35 +0000
Just between us, Dan, the Holley needs some changes to work with the
Buick.  I'm pretty much a rookie and have found that people on this
list frequently gloss over essential stuff they assume everyone
knows.  There's also some difference of opinion.

Here's what I've gleaned.  The stock Holley 390 needs to be rejetted
to run right on this little engine.  I've got some numbers at home I
can send you.  Also, the stock carb does not have the metering block
for the secondaries, and you need that to make it run right.  It's
around $60-70 and allows you to adjust all of the factors for the
secondary.  You will also probably have to change the spring in the
vacuum secondary that controls when they kick in.  They say that it
pays to pick a slightly different cam for the accelerator pump
linkage so that it squirts less gas.  You apparently need to drill
three nickle-sized holes on the choke plate to keep it from
overchoking.  Other than that, you just toss it on there....

At least that will give you some basis for asking questions.

Don't believe everything you read either here or in Hardcastle's
book.  Watch out for advice from people who are getting 400 hp
out of their engines with wild cams and superchargers; that's not
what you have.

Glen Wilson

> From:          Perry Robinson <PROBINSO@flower-mound.com>
> To:            "'Daniel Jones'" <djones2@mdc.com>
> Cc:            "'buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net'"
><buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
> Subject:       RE: Parts Interchangeability -Reply
> Date:          Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:57:10 -0600

> Thanks Dan!
>
> Sounds like you have some hard data to back that up with.  I currently am
> running a bone stock (junkyard pullout) 1980 SD1 3.5l, with a 4bbl buick
> intake(with adapter plate) and a Holley 390.  Installed the Holley straight
> out of the box, just set the float level, and go.  Carb. seems to flood at
> idle, and seems to run very rich.  What jets does this carb come with stock,
> and which are preferred?  Also, engine seems to cut out at high rpm. Can't
> tell if its fuel starvation, or whether its valve float.  (no working tach
> yet!)  I am running a Autozone generic electric fuel pump throught the stock
> TR7 fuel lines.
>
> Any advise?
>
> PS-the 4bbl buick w/adapter creates some clearance problems with the hood,
> with all but the slimmest air cleaners, is the Edelbrock any lower? (or
> HIGHER?)
>
> Thanks!
>  Perry

Glen R. Wilson  <GlenWilson@worldnet.att.net>

Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA