RE: Toyota Supra 5 speed conversion

To: "'Andrew McKenzie'" <andmaca@tig.com.au>, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Toyota Supra 5 speed conversion
From: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:16:49 +1300
Hi,

I have a Leyland P76 V8 in my Rover P5B with a Dellow bellhousing and Celica
'box. All works very well. I was able to use a Rover master cylinder (P5 3
litre 6) and a Toyota slave cylinder. The gearbox is smaller than the
previous BW35 auto, so only new rear mounts were required. The propshaft
needed to be modified as well. The only problem you might have is with the
gear lever location. There are a number of positions available from Toyota,
so a bit of scrap yard hunting should sort this out. I've ended up with a
dog leg in mine to get it far enough back, but that is due to the size of
the car. A SD1 should be fine.

Apparently these 'boxes run best on ATF or a thinner grade of oil. Mine is
still on 90w and is a bit clunky until warmed up.

I race may car in circuit sprints, and although not particularly powerful it
is a heavy car and a torquey motor, and I've had not problems so far.

Let me know if you have any specific info you need.

Simon