3.5 V8 GT6

To: <buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 3.5 V8 GT6
From: "Curt and Amy" <amy_curt@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:20:46 -0800
John,
I also plan a GT6 Buick/Rover V8 transplant.  I have looked at many trans,
and the Rover  5 speed is the best suitable for the dimensional limitations
of the waisted frame of the Spit/GT6.
While the BW T-5 is capable of handling much more torque, it is wider by
@1.5" (8" for the Rover, 9.5" for the T-5). Because of the greater torque
output of the V8 this dimension is critical if you wish to retain the stock
frame.
I currently have a TR7 fuel injected engine sitting in a 1980 Spitfire with
a Rover 5 speed behind it.  This is the same (externally) as the TR8/Rover
SD1/ Range Rover tranny.
I am also looking into obtaining very short shift linkage that would put
the shift lever only 1/2" back from the stock position.   Also I have an
aftermarket ASB plastic tranny cover over the Rover trans in the Spitfire,
and it looks very good.

Curt.