Re: Turn signal switch questions (1 of 2)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turn signal switch questions (1 of 2)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:48:04 -0500
At 05:56 PM 12/21/2006 -0500, Jim Lee wrote:
> I am trying to replace my control head turn signal switch which does not
>seem to be working with a 3 position on-off-on single pole/post? double
>throw toggle switch......

Jim,

For starters, I assume that you are working on the TR3.  I just had to pull
the steering column out of my Dad's '48 TR1800 which is very similar to the
TR3.

Not that I doubt you, but you're sure you got a SPDT switch and not a
Double Pull Double Throw switch?  You only have 3 terminals on the switch,
right?  If you have 6 pins on the back of the switch, you are using all
3 terminals in 1 row, and not going between the 2 rows of pins?

>At the flasher I have power on the left post that comes from the fuse box.
>That power passes through to the right post and ends up at the middle post
>of the new toggle switch. Is that not the way it is supposed to work?

That is correct.  Untill you get current flowing through the flasher.  At
that point, the flasher's internal switch will heat up and open, turning
off the power out of the flasher.  When the power is off, the flasher's
switch will cool off and make contact again.  Thus allowing current to
flow once more.  Consiquently, the turn signals will blink.

>What is not happening though is when I toggle the switch in either direction
>none of the three posts on the switch are hot. All are off. What I thought
>should happen is that when I throw the switch to one side or the other it
>will connect the 12 volts to the left or right turn signals. It doesn't.

That doesn't really make any sense unless.  Even if you had a bad switch,
then you should still have power on the middle post.

How you think it works is correct.

Usually you have to have the ignition switch in the ON (or run) position
for the turn signals to work.

>The turn signals were working very recently and I did the test in Bentleys
>where you jump the left and right posts on the flasher to see if it is the
>flasher or the switch in the control head at fault.

And did you have power at the center pin of your new "turn signal" switch?

If not, then either your ignition switch was NOT in the run position, or
you have a bad flasher.

>I also have an extra flasher that I tried. That is where I got the idea
>that the switch in the control head is not working.

Now, if I read between the lines, you are saying:

1. that the turn signals were working in the past.
2. but the quit working.
3. you tried to by pass the flasher with the old turn signal, and ??????
   (I assume that the lights didn't work?

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229