Re: Smith's tach question

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Smith's tach question
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:31:33 -0500
At 04:26 PM 9/22/2006 -0400, John T. Blair wrote:
>I'm trying to help a fellow who is restoring a 1974 British Ford Escort.
>
>He's got a problem with the tach.  It's Smith's with a magnetic
>pickup, a wire loops around a pickup piece. .... how is it wired?

Same as 65-66 MGB.  Run a white wire from ignition switch through the
loop an on to the coil.  With ignition on and points closed the coil
has 3 ohms resistance which limits the current to 4 amps.  Points
opening when engine runs interrupts the current.  Tach counts the
induction pulses.

If you need to convert it to negative earth, see here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et202a.htm