What are we owned by?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: What are we owned by?
From: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:24:44 -0800
== british-cars at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

We all are still here, I think. Happy New Year to all.

For the first time since 1970, I am without a British car. I bought a
"finished" '50 Plymouth business coupe and sold my 43,000 Morris Minor
convertible after 34 years. The reason that I traded was because it would have
been a pity to repower a super-clean original car and my lovely little ragtop
has become an underpowered, underbraked, hazard to navigation in Los Angeles
traffic.

Since the Plymouth is stored in Northern California waiting to be driven, or
trucked, south, I have no idea if the anemic flathead six will fare any better,
but it seemed fine in bumper to bumper "rush hour" traffic in Santa Rosa. This
car is also too nice to screw with.

The conclusions I have come to are:

The reason that one sees less and less old cars in metropolitan areas is that
stock ones are almost dangerous (especially small ones) because of the
aggressive driving and offensive weapon quality of most SUVs and the huge
pickups that folks are driving instead of cars.

Retro cars are cool and do turn heads, but are just a sedan wearing a costume.
I've been driving a black PT Cruiser now for over three years, and while it has
been dependable and cheap to own and run, it still is a modern economy car
undernieth, Even though I have kept mine like new, it is starting to feel
"loose" and I doubt it would last ten years without a complete restoration -
Also, since they have sold so many (I bought the first and now there are 5 on
my block in Venice, CA), even with the custom black steely wheels with baby
moons and trim rings that make it look like a London Cab, it is just another
car.

Now my friend Peter has a rust and damage free Hillman Husky in his shop for
sale - It needs only some paint and rubber seals - runs great - we never have
even discussed price - while I hope he sells it to someone else, it is
something that I am considering for 2006 once the Plym is down here and garaged.

I can send pix of the Plym or Hillman to anyone interested....

I wouldn't fret puttin' in a Toyota pickup four/automatic in the Husky if it
proves too slow for traffic - hell, there's a guy in NorCal who built a
complete sunbeam tiger under his Husky and restored the outside to stock right
down to the hubcaps! Check it out!

http://www.dougscars.com/hillman.html

Another fun car to check out:

Amazing Jag 420G Mk X modified for a shoe company in the US - These folks get
it! The ultimate British lead slead...........

http://www.fluevog.com/files_2/flueguar1.html

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch
British Car Network