RE: Carb Rebuilders

To: <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Carb Rebuilders
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:31:42 -0700
> OK, I am about ready to throw these _____'ing H4 carbs out the window.  I
> cannot get the front carb to stop overflowing from the nut on top of the
> float bowl lid.

I don't have anyone to recommend, as I've always done my H6 carbs myself.

What you've got is a leaking float valve (assuming you've set the level
properly), which shouldn't be too hard to diagnose and fix.  Since your rear
carb works, I'd probably start by swapping floats front & rear, just to be
sure it's not some undetected problem with the float.

If it still overflows, disassemble the lever and needle, and blow through
the lines with your hand cupped to catch whatever comes out.  If it's black
crud, then you need to replace your soft lines (note, this problem would NOT
be cured by rebuilding the carb).

Although the parts are different, the float valve is almost identical
between the H and HS carbs ... you apparently just never had this problem
with the HS carbs.

Oh, and if you're using Grose jets, replace them with standard ones.  I've
fixed more than one car by throwing the Grose jets in the trash, where they
belong.

Randall