Re: Oil drain pan that doesn't suck?

To: parkanz1@msu.edu
Subject: Re: Oil drain pan that doesn't suck?
From: Diane and Roland Dudley <csx2282@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 15:00:22 -0700
The one I have is made of oil proof plastic and is shaped like a 5 gallon
GI
gas can.  One side surface is indented and has a removable push-in drain
plug about an inch in diameter near what is the top end of the container
when it is setting upright.  During use, it's laid on its side, the plug
is
removed allowing the indented surface to act as an oil drain basin.  At
the
top end there is a spout with a removable screw cap and an air vent plug.

I allow it to set after an oil drain for a hour or so.  Then I use a
piece of
stiff thin cardboard or plastic, about plying card size, to scrape the
remaining
oil residue into the drain opening, before replugging.  Since the city I
live in
has curb side oil pickup, I pour the oil into other containers from the
screw
cap spout.

I don't recall how much I paid for it, but it wasn't very much.  I've
been using
it at least 10, probably closer to 15 years.  It's probably as messy as
your pan,
but it hasn't buckled, and I can usually get virtually all of the oil
into the
container.  The scraping get enough oil off the surface so that it
doesn't drip
on the garage floor when I store the container upright.  Sometimes I give
the
basin side an extra swipe with a paper towel, just to be sure.

I also considered one of those valved drain plugs, but was talked out
of it by I fellow I know who races his car.  His reasoning was that
there's no
guarantee the valve might not leak at some point, or get broken off by
something you run over.  The second reason convinced me, since my oil
pan is one of the lowest points on the car.  The valves I found that
would
have fit would have stuck down below the bottom of the  pan at least
an inch- even more for some.  The stock drain plug, on the other hand,
doesn't
protrude below the pan at all.

For anyone interested, the oil drain container I have was made by Cott
Manufacturing Co., Inc., Winfield, KA.  I don't really recall where I
bought
it, but they were widely available at the time.

Roland