Re: M.P.G. for a T/R 3

To: ARoman4047@aol.com
Subject: Re: M.P.G. for a T/R 3
From: DEVierling@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 00:10:54 EST
Hey, wait...doesn't anyone remember "burst-driving"?  You run the car up
around 70-80 mph or so and then cut the engine and coast back down to 10 mph,
start the car again and slowly accelerate back up to 70-80 and cut the engine
and coast, etc, etc, etc.  Not the most pleasant way to get anywhere, but I
seem to remember these wildly high mileage contests in Popular Mechanics &
Popular Science in the 70's, probably at the height of the oil crisis.
Over-inflated bald tires, special gearing and burst-driving was the key.

I actually used this technique to drive home at 3 AM on the NJ TPK with a
hole in my radiator and a blown head gasket.  I used burst driving and drove
on 3 cylinders from spigot to spigot filling up the radiator wherever I
could.  Boy was that little Datsun 210 unhappy when I finally got home!!!
Donny V
1978 MGB