Re: An American

To: rstca@hemmings.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: An American
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:03:48 -0600
>Has it crossed anyone else's mind that british-cars@autox.team.net ought to

>be allowed to die a decent death?

Absolutely not.

>There are hardly any messages anymore,

That's not a bug, that's a feature.  The problem with the original list is that
it had grown to fragmented.  Now that there are marque-specific lists, the
british-cars
list can be used for general banter of interest to all britcar freaks.

>and
>this sort of thread is on par with what's been coming through.

That's not particularly relevant, because the guy sent the off-topic post to
marque lists also.  Killing british-cars won't solve that problem.

>I've belonged
>to this list for years as have Carl and most of the other diehard members.

So have I.  I proposed the split a decade ago, but folks were not ready.  I
bailed for a while and stuck with lotus-cars (which now has several sub-lists
of its own, like the europa list!).  When I realized that british-cars had split
into marque lists, I realized there was no reason NOT to resubscribe to
british-cars.
 The traffic was light, so what is the downside to belonging?

>It used to be a very active and interesting list where people with a whole

>variety British car marques shared both general and specific information.

True, but the very volume was losing us members.  The traffic load was more
than some folks could take.

>It was fun to learn about a lot of different types of cars, and you don't
>get that on marque-specific lists.

Well, there are several answers to that.

One is that if you really want a pan-British experience, and can take the
traffic,
you ought to subscribe to them all.  I am on lotus-cars, triumphs, shop-talk,
chapman-era and autojumble.

A different take, and one I like, is to encourage folks on the marque lists
to join british-cars.  The traffic can be built up a little by steering
pan-British
material onto it from the other lists when it seems right.

If you want bigger and better pan-British-car discussions here, start one!
You may realize that things you are posting yourself to your marque lists are
worth posting here.

It ain't broke, just a little underused.  It's a pendulum thing, maybe.
Overuse
was a problem, now underuse.

>Is that sort of discussion still happening on some other mailing list anyone

>knows of?

I don't understand the question.

Phil Ethier