Re: Suggested Techbook

To: nogera@prodigy.net
Subject: Re: Suggested Techbook
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@scs.agilent.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:46:49 -0700 (PDT)
Like your manual, the one that came with my car doesn't included a lot
of details on the differential- some exploded views and a list of part
numbers is about it.  You might want to do what I did.  I borrowed a Jag
manual and copied some of the pages from the diff section.  As it
happens this manual covers the 4HU Salisbury diffs, which is what my
car has, though the case and some of the other parts are different.  This
probably makes this particular manual more useful to me than to you, but
it also included more generic stuff which you might find
of interest.  For example, pictures of gear wear patterns, and what they
mean.

Since far more Jags were built than our cars, the manuals for them
included a lot more detailed information, which was likely aimed at
dealership mechanics.  And since there were so many of these manuals
printed compared to ones for your Morgan, they are likely to be cheaper,
should you decide to buy one.  But first, check your local library.  If
you can find manuals for more than one model, that would be even better,
since Salisbury differentials, even the same models, varied depending on
their application.  They also evolved over time.  You might find that
one manual is more suitable to your needs than another.

One more thing- DANAs are basically Salisbury diffs.  That might be
another manual source for you to check out.

Roland