Prepping the car to a media blaster/Body Shop to save $$$

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Prepping the car to a media blaster/Body Shop to save $$$
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:10:25 -0500
Hey guys,

With the combination of some new work responsibilities and the new baby
I am finding it very hard to find the time to do the bodywork on the 67
MGB.  It would be different if I was dealing with tasks I already know
how to do, but everything involving "correctly" doing auto body
restoration is a learning experience.  I began stripping the paint with
aircraft stripper, but it was working very slow (3 hours for the left
rear fender).  It seems that the car has been repainted twice already
(BRG then Burgundy over the original Mineral Blue).  I already have
found dents that are over my limited skills, and I really want this car
to come out right, as I plan to keep it for many years.

Since I still have budget restraints.   How far should I look at
stripping the car down before sending the car out for media blasting
then bodywork and paint?  I know some remove the entire drivetrain, but
how do you move the car around?  Also how do they clean, strip, and
paint the underside of the car one the wheels are removed?

I am hoping to get the costs down to the $2000 range for the work I
contract out.  This would have me removing as much of the car's parts as
possible (all chrome, glass, lights, interior) then I reassemble that
afterward.  I understand to budget $800 for media blasting, all of the
primer, paint, and misc supplies cost $180 at the local PPG store, that
would leave over $1000 for bodywork and paint labor.  Am I
underestimating this?

I know the saying is that when contracting services there are three
elements customers look for: fast turnaround, low cost, and high
quality.  I also know that you will never get all three, I am hoping to
find a good balance of the quality and cost.  Any other suggestions to
help me get there are welcome.

Also, any shop recommendations are welcome, I am just SW of Houston.

Thanks
Patton