Re: cooling systems

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: cooling systems
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@scs.agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:33:24 -0700 (PDT)
Anti corrosion isn't the only reason for not using straight water, even
in our CA no freeze zone.  These additives or Glycol based coolants also
provide lubrication for the water pump bearing.  BTW, Red Line's liquid
Water Wetter additive does not provide this lubrication.

Some car manufactures have special coolants they claim will last much
longer (and for far more miles) than the standard 2 year coolants sold
at most auto parts stores.  GM, for one, and I think Volvo and Mercedes
do too.  My understanding is that you have to completely flush all of
the old coolant if you want to switch to this stuff.

Of course these are claims, and I don't know how valid they are, but I
do know that GM puts this tuff in their new cars and stands by these
claim during the warranty period.

Roland