RE: virus long

To: "cystanton@earthlink.net" <cystanton@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: virus long
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:54:18 -0800
At 10:52 AM 11/28/2001 -0500, cystanton@earthlink.net wrote:
>Fred, don't feel like the lone-stranger here.  I'm mostly a lurker here,
>but felt I should chime in on this one.  This virus, if its the same one I
>recently "acquired" is called W32/BadTrans@MM and comes via an email with
>an attachment (either .scr or .pif).  In addition to sending itself to
>everyone in your address book, it also writes a "backdoor" trojan that
>somehow logs all your keystrokes so that,

   There was discussion about e-mail programs yesterday and this virus on
this list.  In Eudora, the message I get is a reply from someone but there
are no attachments, its just a blank reply.  I have had probably a dozen
already with nothing in them according to Eudora.  I did check my registry
and I have not been infected so I assume Eudora is not susceptible to this
virus.  Company wide here is a rule that no one will ever run MicroSoft
LookOut and most of us run Eudora and we have had no problems yet with the
virus.  I am not running any AntiVirus either and neither is most of the
development staff here, we find it slows down the computers too much and
don't bother with it.

   At home, I run Norton AntiVirus with the very latest definition file and
it has not detected any virus in my e-mail where I also use Eudora.

    I don't remember who it was yesterday, but I agree with him STAY AWAY
FROM LOOKOUT !!!  Eudora and lots of other e-mail programs are quite good,
Eudora has a free mode and paid for mode, the free one is not
obtrusive.  Netscapes e-mailer is very nice I am told and also not running
into problems with this virus.

  As long as we are off-topic here...StartEd is a pretty good tool for
seeing what your machine does at startup, any trojan will have to start and
StartEd will show it to you... http://www.outertech.com/  (not affiliated
or part of or anything else with that company)

   Ok, that was my off-topic post...any others from me will be private